Nursing Informatics: Critical Appraisal of MediCalc App
1. PART 2: Answer the Medical App Critical Appraisal questions thoughtfully and comprehensively. Use the criteria headings on this outline as the headings on your properly APA- formatted paper.
o NAME: What is the name of the app?
o AUTHOR: Who created, developed, or maintains the app? Explain.
o ENDORSEMENT: Is the app licensed by the Food and Drug Administration, other government agency, or endorsed by an academic institution or medical professional organization? Explain.
o OPERATION: Which platform (mobile or web-based) is suitable for the app and why?
o AESTHETICS: Is the information displayed in a way that is easy to navigate? Is it easy to use? Can you use it without instructions? Explain.
o PURPOSE: What is the intended purpose or use of the app?
o CLINICAL DECISION MAKING: What influence does the app have on clinical decision making? Explain.
o SAFETY: Is there potential for patient harm? Explain.
o USER: For whom is the app intended (providers, patients, or others)? Explain.
o DISTRIBUTION: Is it designed for local use or wider distribution? Explain.
o CREDIBILITY: How credible are the sources of information? How do you know? Explain.
o RELEVANCE: How current is the information in the app? When was the last update? Is the content consistent with evidence-based literature or best practices/standards of care? Explain.
3. PART 3: Provide oneexample of an appropriate patient or clinical scenario for this app. The example should include the following details:
oPatient Age-population (Pediatric, Adult, Geriatric)
oClinical Setting (Hospital, Private Practice, Extended Living Facility)
oHistory of Present Illness and Diagnosis or Condition
oProvide a detailed description of the app in your example. When will the app be implemented (at the Point-of-care or elsewhere)? Who will use the app? What potential impact will it have on the scenario? Incorporate the critical appraisal information from Part 2. Provide one evidence-based scholarly article as a reference to support clinical decision making.
- This assignment will be graded on the quality of the information, inclusion of one evidence-based scholarly resource, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, and organization based on the required components (see the paper headings and content details in Part 1).
- The length of the paper is to be between 1,000 and 1,500 words, excluding title page and reference list.
- Create this assignment using Microsoft (MS) Word. You can tell that the document is saved as a MS Word document because it will end in \”.docx.\”
- APA format is required in this assignment, explicitly for in-text citations and the reference list. Use 12-point Times New Roman font with 1-inch margins and double spacing. See the APA manual for details regarding proper citation. See resources under Course Resources, \”Guidelines for Writing Professional Papers\” for further clarification.